For those already thinking ahead to warm weather 🙂
The club is planning on a Spring trip to the “Gorge” led by Al and Pat Langen focusing on the many birds and unique spring wildflowers found there.
For those who might be interested in a weekend trip, the Grayling MI area is currently reporting 9″ of snow.
On the way up, it is always worth stopping at Cross Country Ski Headquarters in Roscommon, MI to either ski their groomed trails, have a snack in their lodge area, or pick up some new gear.
The Food was good and as always, plentiful…. “Gorge at the Mill then hike the Gorge”.
There is an upcoming group trip to Vista Verde Ranch in Clark, CO on (1/14 – 1/21) Conditions appear to be good.
A Club Big Trip is planned for Stokley Creek (Canada); (3/12-19, 2017) Information is available for interested parties.
A beautiful area to visit both during the summer for hiking, and winter for skiing. The Laurel Highlands State Park has several trails in the area that can be checked out on the interactive map below.
I have winter-backpacked about half of the 70-mile Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail. Part of the Potomac Heritage Trail, it is one of the most celebrated Pennsylvania hiking trails for its varied terrain and wondrous beauty. The ridge line area is beautiful, and the trail even crosses the Seven Springs Mountain Resort ski slopes.
Allegan State Game Area Forest (West Lower Peninsula ~ 5 hour drive from Dayton) offers 25 km (15 miles) of trails that are groomed for cross-country skiing. Skiing is permitted only after January 1. There are two sets of loops, one on each side of the road. Click here to view the Allegan_State_Ski_Trails PDF
Hey everyone, Vicki and I celebrated our 35th anniversary by going over to Hocking Hills State Park for a few days. It is only a 2 hour drive from Dayton and there are several cabin rentals around at fairly reasonable rates. Of course, we walked on several of the cave trails, many of which offer easy (flat) gorge walks (even Old Man’s Cave has had trail improvements to make it easy to negotiate) as well as more demanding cliff-side trails like the one at Conkle’s Hollow which has 200 ft drops right next to the trail.
In addition, we did a 2-hour excursion to have our first experience zip-lining at Hockinghillscanopytours
See Vicki come in for a landing at: http://youtu.be/25DIBBQXQN0
The tour is not strenuous (from an exertion standpoint) and it is a thrill to ride 20 mph down a 570′ cable!
Keep your aerobics, legs and arms strong with bicycling, rowing, yoga …
- Put together a sensible fitness plan before the winter season begins. You should alternate days of weight training with days of cardiovascular and endurance training.
- Work on your endurance levels by taking up running or joining a spinning class. Cross country skiing makes high demands on your cardiovascular system, particularly if you are skiing at a faster pace. Cardio exercise will help to increase your body’s ability to take in and use oxygen more efficiently.
- Use a heart monitor to make sure that you are staying within your aerobic heart rate zone, the optimal rate for increasing your endurance.
- Pick up some weights and work on weight training your large muscle groups in your arms and chest. Because poles play a large part in the activity of cross country skiing, it is important to build muscle mass for strength and keep your biceps, triceps and other arm and chest muscles in shape.
- Buy a pair of Nordic walking poles to incorporate active arm movements into your walking routine. It’s important to remember that cross country skiing usually takes place at higher elevations, so planning a day hike or two in the mountains during the off-season isn’t a bad idea and Nordic walking poles will help you get your coordination in shape for the coming cross country season.
- Be sure to fully stretch out your muscles before and after each training session. An easy trick is to loop a yoga strap around the instep of one foot while lying on your back. Stretch the opposite leg out straight along the floor while using the yoga strap to pull your other leg towards you, giving your hamstrings a gentle stretch.
- Stretch out your arm muscles following intense weight training or exercise by bending your elbow over your head and placing your opposite hand on top. Apply gentle pressure to stretch out your triceps. Repeat the stretch on the other side.
Monthly meetings are held on the first Saturday morning of each month between the months of October and April. The location changes from month to month, so check back here for posts about the meeting location.
For more information, contact Bill Clayton at ten.k1484972711nilht1484972711rae@y1484972711alcb1484972711